top of page

Shell Fish Allergy

Do you suspect you are allergic to shell fish?

Shellfish allergy is an a typical response by the body's immune system to proteins in certain marine animals. Reactions range from mild symptoms to severe and even life-threatening reactions. At our Health and Wellness Clinic, we offer a specialized Shell Fish Allergy Test to help identify and diagnose shellfish allergies. If you think you may have a shellfish allergy, make an appointment with us and get tested. Our tests can help confirm the allergy so you can take the necessary steps to avoid future reactions.


Symptoms

Shellfish allergy symptoms generally start within minutes to an hour after eating or having contact with shellfish and can include hives, difficulty breathing, nausea, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.


In more severe cases, anaphylaxis can occur and signs and symptoms include lightheadedness, confusion, and loss of consciousness.

This list is not exhaustive and other symptoms may occur.


Anaphalaxis

An anaphylactic reaction to shellfish is a medical emergency. Anaphylaxis requires immediate treatment with an epinephrine (adrenaline) injection and a follow-up trip to the emergency room. If anaphylaxis isn't treated right away, it can be fatal.Anaphylaxis causes the immune system to release a flood of chemicals that can cause you to go into shock.


When to seek medical help

Seek emergency treatment if you develop signs or symptoms of anaphylaxis.

Call 911 immediately. If you have food allergy symptoms shortly after eating, make an appointment with us to get tested. (book appointment)


Then follow up with a health care provider or allergy specialist and share your results with them.

bottom of page